What is openwrt? This basically an open sources firmware which operates under the GNU license. It was established by the openwrt team whereby they place additional features to your existing OEM brand router. This helps to enhance the speed of the router and increase the performance level exceeding the normal default firmware.
Openwrt can be configured on various routers, where the one doesn’t have to deal with manufactures anymore. Though the process is tricky and one has to be careful in upgrading the firmware. The results are much better in terms of performance and speed. Upgrading is done to achieve best and give full potential of the router. The openwrt firmware has better connectivity to WI-FI and eases the hassle of networking therefore working well for both home and office use.
Note before configuring or upgrading the openwrt firmware to your router. Check all the features in your router hardware. Note routers which don’t support openwrt won’t work on this process. Nonetheless some OEM brand router support open source firmware but if installed with the wrong firmware their functionality is completely damaged. The process is risky but when done successfully the results are enjoyable.
What is WISP mode in the openwrt router? (Wireless internet service provider)
This a services which is originally developed for internet service providers who provide internet over wireless CPE. There changes which occur as follows, the wireless interface will be converted to WAN interface to help the wireless device function as a wireless client router.
Here we take few steps which will lead use in configuring WISP mode to openwrt router.
Steps to configure and setup WISP mode in openwrt router
Remember in the above discussion, we talked of risks which might occur if any mistake or wrong firmware is implemented. Again I mention this a risky process and one has to check the router hardware. Whether it can accommodate openwrt source and if yes which is the right one. Permanent damage to the router will occur if any mistake takes place.
Follow the below steps for successful configuration
- First your PC device or laptop needs to have same IP address in the LAN properties.
- With this setting now start on the configuration method.
- Go to the browser in your PC/laptop, here type the IP address 192.168.1.1 the click the enter button.
- In seconds the openwrt page will display on the screen.
- Now key in your username and the password. Note the default username is root while password can be left blank.
- The system will send a notification which is marked in a yellow line. Indicating password has not been set.
- Now click on the notification and set a password. It should be strong and easy to remember.
- After this go to the network option, select WI-FI the go to the scan button.
- On the same page look for your network SSID the select to join.
- Enter your wireless key.
- After checking on the settings now rename the new network and click on the submit button.
- The system in the next step of configuration will open frequency and automatically select as per the current access point.
- Now click to save and apply for setting changes.
- Note if the client device connected to AP device then you have to configure WAN interface to get internet from the AP.