An innovation of the big tech giant Microsoft company, Disk defragmentation has change the functionality of our devices improving their performances. Defragmenter is a feature or product which sole purpose is to increase the speed of rearranging files in the hard disk. The files are brought near each other easing the opening process.
This saves timewhich was much used gathering the information and assembling it for presentation. It also helps in the PC performance and reduces the startup time of the whole system. The term Defragmentation basically means bringing together and compiling the information. Moreover, the opposite which is fragmentation meaning scattering of the information. The files are not well-arranged which makes it hard to trace details of certain files.
All devices automatically defragment the files using the in-built defragmenter. Windows 10, and all windows versions automatically defrags though the process doesn’t go for long thus lowering the speed level.
How to Disk defragmentation your windows 10?
Defragmentation improves your devices performance; we have several steps which one can follow in optimizing.
- On your device go to the disk optimization tool.
- Now click on the “defrag” from search bar.
- When this page opens select defragment and optimize drives.
- Select the hard drive the click on the analyze button.
- In some point you might not need the defragmentation process. check for the results if they go below 10 % then the file doesn’t require optimization.
- However, if they are above this click on optimize tab.
- Give the system some time to complete and once done the process will display 0% fragmentation.
How to change the optimization schedule?
Each device has an optimizing process, where one can check how often they can repeat the process. Nonetheless on can modify the schedule and fix when and how to optimize their devices.
- Go to the optimize drives window.
- Select the change setting tab.
- Check for the different results indicated. There are either daily, monthly and weekly.
- After the selection click on the “choose button”
- Pick on the drives you need to place in this schedule.
- Ensure all process are going as placed and click on “ok”.
- There the process is done, click on “close” to complete the process.
With the current state of technology, defragmentation might not be a requirement anymore. The devices are well featured to work automatically. The above optimization process work for traditional rotating hard drives. The new solid state drives don’t require any of this process.
Current drives use memory where the data is well stored. In other words, SSDs don’t undergo the disk defragmentation process. One will only cause damage to the hard disk and reduce the speed of the drive. The solid state drives will still appear under the optimize drives tool.
Windows will work place different task on the SSD either pass information about certain data on the drive. You can also have both the traditional and digital hard drives in one garget. Just ensue timely defragmentation process to increase the performance and durability of the drive.